The Lighthouse




“There are times when the ocean is not the ocean - not blue, not even water, but some violent explosion of energy and danger: ferocity on a scale only gods can summon. It hurls itself at the island, sending spray right over the top of the lighthouse, biting pieces off the cliff. And the sound is a roaring of a beast whose anger knows no limits. Those are the nights the light is needed most.”
― M. L. Stedman - The Light Between Oceans


Poetry escapes me
And my world is a desert
I long for the island,

where it rains words and flights of fancy

by ninotaziz

-----------------------------------------------------

The painting is a gift , a work of art by dear Sir Hanks who writes ferociously. Today, like the lighthouse within its stern and stark frame, it stared at me accusingly. "Write Ninot, write whatever comes to mind." But my mind is a desert that refuses to obey my ever eager fingers, my exhausted poet self. I am chasing dreams, and spinning stories. Instead, I found the words of M L Stedman, which does the painting justice.

 I am lost in the real world. And my true Eden lies in wait.


14 comments:

  1. what a lovely gift.

    and i hope you find that island once more where the words fall like rain. and keep listening to those words....just write.

    i am ok. its a trying day. my father had a heart attack this morning. they were able to revive hima nd they are doing surgery now. he is in critical condition so we are in a wait and see right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Brian…I am so sorry to hear that. I will say a special prayer for your Dad.

      Brian, do take care.

      Delete
  2. It will return, my friend, with time and ease. I relate to the exhausted poet self.......was it Louise Erdrich who compares times of not writing to gestation? A good analogy, I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sherry, I certainly hope so. Really do hope so.

      Delete
  3. But in the waiting time, you produced an adroit and thoughtful Mag, never the less. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Damn it is hard to be stuck in desert, dry for words and longing for the ice cold nourishing rain of words to hit your lips once again..Loved the comparison you made there! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now I know I am in good company when nothing flows from my mind, my heart, my fingers. A desert indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope the words now keep flowing! Writing block can be such a pain. I too really like this painting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think now that the words have flowed again they will continue to flow! But I understand how the world can be a poetic desert sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ninot Ma'am,
    Thanks for posting the painting. As mentioned in my FB, I now have a record of the image! But you did better in fact! In those 2 months you were instead finalizing your books, 3 books I understand. So a loss in poetry is a more than proportionate gain in book-writing! And that's even better, certainly!
    That's a beautiful quote from Stedman and more so also your accompanying narration.

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
  9. Quite a wonderful way to start the week. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. you are going to walk out of that desert and find your island. maybe you already have. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. How timely...I just watched "Lawrence of Arabia" and was contemplating the dessert...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful painting and quote! And your feelings are familiar. I feel like I'm rowing back to the island with only one oar...

    ReplyDelete

Share with me your thoughts - and friendship !

Related Posts with Thumbnails